Saturday, June 6, 2009

August 23, 2008

I have anxiety today in that I can't visit New Orleans till December. So many readings of my books (an answer to prayer) are happening here in NYC. I miss New Orleans end of summer. i know it's hot there, but there is that excitement of school starting and having Loyola Univ and Tulane in the center of the city across from Audubon Park keeps youth and vision in the center of town. Not many cities have a solid center like New orleans and I miss St Charles Avenue and the park. It's a gorgeous park with all those houses on Exposition Blvd opening on the Oak Trees and swamps. Used to love to walk in the park late afternoon and pass the ducks and under those big sweeping mossy oaks.

And I went to Newcomb and Tulane and taught at Loyola and Tulane. My sister, Mama, and Grandma and I went to Newcomb and my brother and niece went to Tulane. My father and uncle and grandfather and your mother my daughter went to Loyola. So many members of our family drove down to those schools and learned from so many brilliant people there.

Those two universities have brought much joy and knowledge and love to the city and I am sure one day you will enjoy knowing people there too.

------------------------------------------------
Remembering how much my daughter Rachelle and Scott yearned for you, a baby. Rachelle told us all she was pregnant on Thanksgiving before you were born in July. I had offered up all my suffering of my breast cancer so Rachelle would get pregnant. Breast surgery and implant removal and chemo and radiationso that Rachelle would get pregnant. And the doctor surgeon who saved my life was Dr. Roses. i prayed for a little girl and God answered our prayers and so your middle name is Rose. And your first name is Ruby. Like the red of a heart and of a red rose. A victory flower which is what you are. And you were due on July 11 and you came on time. I planned to arrive the 10th in New Orleans--my first trip home post Katrina and post cancer--and you came as scheduled. Joy baby that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment