Saturday, June 6, 2009

My husbands. October 30, 2008

My second husband Dick O'Neill had a regular government job. Finally I could say I was with a man who was employed. My Mom approved. "If you don't get him," she said, "someone else will." At 27, there was thiS feeling that your beauty years were spent. Dad said, "Ye gods. You're marrying a man who 's not a millionaire again. I though you learned your lesson. When I married Terry, Dad had said," Well I've supported you. I guess I can support him, too."

Dick gave me 2 beautiful daughters. I married 2 charming but brooding Irishmen. Both loved to party and fantasize so my youth was spent working hard teaching full time, running a theatre. I was the provider. It wasn't till I left Dick in 2001 and came to NYC that I got rested and had the time to write.

My Polish husband Bob Harzinski, a self stater from a working class family gave me the courage and provided the space for me to claim myself full-time as a writer.

When I left New Orleans, I left my full time professorship, my artistic directorship at Sourthern Rep which I founded and became the RAW me.

At my daughter Dale's high school graduation tea when I told a few other mothers I was leaving for NYC, one mother who ran her husband's wealthy laundry business said, DO IT FOR ALL OF US.

No comments:

Post a Comment