Saturday, June 6, 2009

August 26, 2008

Going to NYC tomorrow to a play at irish Rep the leading theatre for Irish plays. I am part Irish. My gradmother Vera Malter Nix (on mama's side) always claimed she was Irish. I think her mother was Irish. Her father was De. Jacob Malter was a doctor and the son of a lawyer who was an orphan but found by a Yankee soldier after the civil war who paid for his rearing and all his education. Grandma Nix was one of 2 girls who were part of the second family of Dr. Jacob Malter.His first wife and 3 children having been lost in a fire. His second wife Ellen Quail (ergo the Irish roots) was a valedictorian of her class as was my mother and grandmother and died young (at 40 f breast cancer) My grandma Vera Nix from whom I get my middle name took care of her father's business affairs (he owned a drug store and real estate-at that time doctors were also pharmacists) from the time she was 18. Grandma had a deathly fear of death and would never let illness or death be discussed in her house. She avoided funerals and hospitals like the plague as if illness was contagious. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment